I love love love making these Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce on a weekly basis. I'd make them daily if my husband didn't get tired of eating the same thing everyday! They're so easy to make, I can prep the ingredients in advance for meal prep, and use left overs with other meals!
This is one of those recipes I can't take all the credit for. My brother in law made these when I went to visit my new baby nephew and used vegan Gardein Teriyaki Chick'n Strips...they were AMAZING.
Ingredients for This Tofu Tacos Recipe:
- Flavorful tofu.
- Chopped cabbage. I like to buy a pre-chopped cabbage mix or slaw mix to save some time.
- The Perfect Peanut Sauce.
- Extra toppings I like to include: lime, sesame seeds, sriracha, wonton strips, or pickled cucumbers.
- Tortillas of your choice.
To make these Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce:
- Start by pressing the tofu. Make the sauce for the tofu and prepare the peanut sauce while you're doing this.
- Combine all the tofu sauce ingredients together.
- Cook the tofu until slightly brown on all the sides, add the sauce and cook some more, then add the nutritional yeast (optional).
- For the coleslaw mix, combine shredded cabbage, vegan mayo, celery seeds, onions, cilantro, and black pepper.
- In a tortilla, spread some of the slaw mix, top it with the tofu, and drizzle the peanut sauce. Add any other toppings you're choosing to include. I like to squeeze some lime, add wonton strips, and sriracha sauce. That's it...you're all ready to enjoy your tacos!
They're perfect for a twist on your regular taco night. If you don't like to use tofu for your taco filling, you can try using tempeh, Gardein, or protein of your choice. Let me know if you tried the recipe!
Other Tofu Recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegetable Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Tofu
- Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu
- Roasted Vegetable Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce
- 1 pack tortillas of choice; I use flour tortillas
For the Tofu:
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking the tofu; I use extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 cloves garlic; crushed
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
For the Peanut Sauce:
- ½ cup peanut butter; I used unsweetened and unsalted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 inches ginger or 2 tablespoons crushed ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce; low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- ⅓ cup water; add more 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency
For the Coleslaw Mix:
- 3 cups shredded cabbage; I use pre-shredded cabbage mix
- ½ medium onion; sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo; I use Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 1 pinch celery seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro; chopped
- black pepper; to taste
- Press the tofu by wrapping it in an absorbent towel and placing something heavy on it to remove excess water. Do this for at least 20 minutes, the longer the better. Try to get as much water out as you can for a crispy tofu with a chewy center.
- While the tofu is pressing, prepare the sauce for the tofu by mixing everything except the oil and nutritional yeast.
- After the tofu is pressed and most of the water is squeezed out, cube the tofu.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu. Sauté on high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping occasionally to cook on all sides.
- Add the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes or until brown on all sides. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
For the Peanut Sauce:
- Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and water (1 tablespoon at a time) to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add additional water as needed based on your desired consistency.
For the Coleslaw Mix:
- In a small bowl, combine shredded cabbage, vegan mayo, celery seeds, onions, cilantro, and black pepper. Set aside.
Make the Tacos:
- In a tortilla, add the coleslaw mix, top with tofu, and peanut sauce.
- Optional: I like to add sriracha, wonton strips, and a squeeze of lime as extra additions to this dish.
- Enjoy immediately!