Hello!! The first thing that I started obsessing over this pregnancy (and am still obsessing over) is VEGAN MAYO. You've heard of elotes right? Well, there's something called esquites which is the Mexican street corn salad (off the cob version) that's super simple to eat and works so great as a side dish to whatever you're making. Since I don't eat eggs (lacto-vegetarian), these Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad) has become a popular side dish/snack here in our household.
I use Follow Your Heart Vegenaise and eat it as a dip, spread, whatever else you can think of. Baked Lays and vegan mayo is was my ONLY go-to snack after I overcame my morning sickness. Then I started eating roasted corn and vegan mayo. So this Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad) recipe has definitely re-entered my life during this pregnancy.
To make these Vegan Esquites, here's what you'll need:
- Frozen corn. It's easier than using fresh, I always have it on hand in my freezer, and it's quick!
- Vegan mayo
- Onion and garlic
- Spices, cilantro, and lime for lots of flavor!
First, thaw your corn and roast it until it's charred to your liking. Toss all the ingredients in a bowl and eat it right away (like I do) or refrigerate it and eat it chilled with whatever dish you want!
I hope you guys enjoy these Vegan Esquites as much as I do. Let me know if you tried it in the comments below!
Also, I hope everyone is staying home and protecting yourself and others! This virtual world has really been an outlet for many of us and cooking new foods with the extra time has really been a sort of therapy right? It definitely has for me. Sending some positive vibes your way today.
Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
- 2 cups corn; thawed if using frozen
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- ½ red onion; chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup cilantro;
- 1 juice of lime
- Heat a non-stick pan and cook thawed corn for about 5-10 minutes until slightly charred.
- In a small bowl, mix corn, garlic, red onion, vegan mayo, paprika, and cumin together. Top with cilantro and juice of lime. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.
- I don't add any extra salt to this dish as the vegan mayo added enough for me. However, adjust according to your taste at the end!