We have been OBSESSED with these Vegan Banana Muffins. I took my all-time favorite Banana Nut Bread recipe by Ms. Joshi and adapted it to make the best Vegan Banana Muffins with a streusel topping. Vegan aside, they are actually the best vegan banana muffin recipe...ever. Plus, you can't even tell they're vegan muffins!
These vegan banana muffins are always a hit with my family, especially my kids. There was a time when everyone was making banana nut bread and sourdough bread at the beginning of the pandemic. Well, I'm still over here making banana nut muffins every time my bananas are overripe!
📖 Ingredients for Banana Muffins
💭 Top Tips to Make the Best Banana Muffins
- Use over-ripe bananas. The ripeness of bananas helps the texture and sweetness of the recipe. I wait until my bananas are brown on the outside for the ideal taste. However, I have made these with semi-ripe bananas, which have turned out wonderfully. Another option to get the perfect ripeness is to bake an unpeeled banana in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until the banana peel turns black. Cool them completely and then use them in the recipe.
- Flours. I like to use half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour for added nutrition and a nuttier taste. You are welcome to substitute the whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour only instead, although, I have not tested the recipe this way.
- Sugar. I love using pure cane sugar like Zulka as it's free of bone char and natural. The brown sugar I used for the streusel topping is Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar which is also bone char free.
- Do NOT overmix. When combining the ingredients, do not overmix the muffins. This makes the muffins less fluffy and dense.
- Nut and nut-free options. I use walnuts in my recipe and love the flavor it gives. Other options can be pecans, or almonds as well. If you have a nut allergy, simply omit the nuts or substitute them with pepitas or sunflower seeds.
- Don't forget the streusel topping! Mix the all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, finely chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Mix by hand into a crumbly mixture.
🍽 Storage and Freezing
Enjoy warm and fresh out of the oven. Keep them at room temperature for up to 3 or 4 days in an airtight container (best option) or store them in the fridge if you have any leftovers for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the banana muffins in a large reusable zip bag for later use for up to 6 months. Thaw the muffins at room temperature then wrap them in foil and heat at 375°F for about 10-15 minutes. You can also microwave them for 30 seconds at a time until heated thoroughly.
☕ More Breakfast Ideas
- Protein Smoothie Recipe
- Easy Tofu Scramble
- Dark Chocolate Granola
- Vegetarian Hashbrown Casserole
- Homemade Coconut Almond Granola
- Chocolate Chia Overnight Oats
If you loved this Vegan Banana Muffin recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe to my weekly emails so you never miss a new recipe!
Vegan Banana Muffins
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup room temperature coconut oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas until no lumps remain. Stir in the melted coconut oil, apple sauce, and vanilla. Combine well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together: all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cane sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Do not over mix. It should create a thick, formed batter. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- In a muffin pan, add liners or grease well with coconut oil. Pour mixture until almost to the top.
- To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine all purpose flour, dark brown sugar, finely chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Mix by hand into a crumbly mixture. Do not over mix. Sprinkle the streusel topping generously onto each muffin.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until the muffins are a deep golden brown. To check if cooked, insert a toothpick or knife in the center and it should come out mostly clean. Let cool and enjoy warm!