I don't know of many people that don't LOVE granola. There are so many ways you can make it to change up the flavors. This homemade coconut almond granola is the perfect crunchy, sweet treat with hints of cinnamon and vanilla!
Making granola seems pretty fancy but after I tried making it for the first time, I don't think I'll be buying granola again. Plus, why is packaged granola always so expensive?! Homemade granola has less sugar and you can flavor it with so many different spices, nuts, dried fruits, and seeds.
But GUYS, this particular homemade coconut almond granola...so good. I tested the first batch and I had to make ANOTHER batch the same day because Rajan and I basically snacked on it all day. One batch makes 4 cups. I won't judge you so don't judge us 🙂 . And it was so easy to make. You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and only need one bowl to mix it all up.
When making granola, here are the main things you need:
- Oats. If you have gluten intolerance, you want to make sure your oats specify they are gluten free.
- Nuts. I used slivered almonds in mine. Really any nuts would go wonderfully. Pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashews.
- Oil. The oil binds the granola together and gives it the perfect crunch. I used coconut oil but you can use any neutral oil. Olive oil works well too but will add a touch of flavor.
- Sweetness. I love using maple syrup as a natural sweetener.
- Spices. If I could use vanilla and cinnamon in every sweet thing I made, I would. You can also add nutmeg, ground ginger, cardamom, almond extract...get creative!
- Coconut. I used finely shredded coconut. I thought it would brown too much since I mixed it in from the beginning but it was perfectly toasted.
- Sea Salt. Salt in sweets, especially baking, is meant for many reasons...one of them being a flavor enhancer. I felt like this was necessary to bring all the flavors in together. Using table salt will work just fine as well but I'd start with using ¼ teaspoon first and taste test it.
- Optional mix-ins:
- Dried Fruits: cranberries, raisins, apricots, cherries (add at the end).
- Chocolate chips (add after the granola has cooled).
- Seeds: chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds/ground flax meal, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds.
For a chunkier granola, press the granola down well in the baking tray before placing in the oven. I also pressed the granola down as soon as I removed the tray. Let it cool COMPLETELY before breaking it apart so you can keep some chunks in there.
I had this immediately as a snack then again with some milk as a cereal. This would also go really well as a topping for my blueberry chia seed pudding, yogurt, or topped over some fresh fruits.
You're free to go now and make this granola 🙂 . Good luck not snacking on it like we did (double the batch if you think you will). Let me know how you like it and how you got creative with your granola in the comments below!
Homemade Coconut Almond Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup shredded coconut; unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil; melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup; see notes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, almonds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Then add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix until all dry ingredients are well-coated.
- Pour the mixture onto your prepared baking tray. If you like chunkier granola, press the granola down before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the granola turns a golden brown.
- Let the granola cool completely. The granola will get crispier as it cools. If you want to keep larger clusters, do not mix the granola until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, break into pieces. Store in an airtight container and enjoy as a cereal, snack, with fruits, or with yogurt!
- I don't like my granola extra sweet so if you prefer yours to be sweeter, add in a little more maple syrup. Optional mix-ins such as dried fruits or chocolate chips will also increase the sweet flavors.