Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas : A vegetarian quesadilla made with Tex-Mex inspired flavors, loaded with protein, vegetables, and cheesy goodness.
See here for more information about the Fond App.
The best vegetarian quesadillas you'll ever try. These quesadillas are so simple yet versatile with tempeh as the main ingredient. They are packed with protein and also go great with Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing or Green Chile Queso Sauce as a sauce for quesadilla.
- Tempeh: I use the Lightlife brand tempeh. Vegetarian tempeh recipes are so versatile. I have used it with Mexican-inspired flavors as well as in a salad with Miso Sauce.
- Veggies: I used bell peppers, onions, corn, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Cheese: I use freshly shredded Tillamook cheddar cheese or Kirkland's Mexican blend cheese.
- Tortillas: I used homemade ones made by my MIL but also love H-E-B's fresh tortillas.
- Tomato paste and taco seasoning: for all the flavors. I get these from Thrive market. I just bought a subscription recommended by my dear friend over at Kissed by Spice!
- Cheese. I love using Tillamook shredded cheese or Costco's Kirkland cheese. These are great non-animal rennet options. If you want to make these tempeh and veggie quesadillas vegan quesadillas, you can either omit the cheese or use vegan cheese.
- Crumble the tempeh: I used a shredder for this.
- Briefly sauté the veggies, add the crumbled tempeh cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges, add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese and fold it over. cook the quesadillas until slightly brown and crispy!
- Serve warm!
These would work great as a make ahead snack or an appetizer for a party as well! I made too many the second time and had leftover quesadillas. I popped them in the oven the next day and they tasted just as great.
🍴 More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Lime Dressing
- Green Chile Queso Sauce
- Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
If you loved these Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas, please let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas
- 8 tortillas of choice, 8 inch
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 8 oz package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste no salt added
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Crumble the tempeh. I used a shredder for this but you can also crumble it by hand.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add garlic, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Briefly sauté the veggies for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tempeh cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges.
- Add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese and fold the other half of the tortilla over. Cook the quesadillas on low to medium heat until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly brown and crispy! Serve warm!
- Serve with avocado, salsa, sour cream, or any hot sauces of your choice. Serve warm and enjoy!