AMAZING Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas: made with Tex-Mex flavors, loaded with protein, vegetables, and cheesy goodness.
Let me start by saying my sisters are creative cooks and I love being fed when they're visiting (especially when I was postpartum). My older sister made these as tacos for my younger sister (they both live in Dallas without me - talk about middle child syndrome!). After I had baby Suraj, my younger sister made them as quesadillas for my hangry self. They were SO GOOD...I devoured almost all of it. Let's thank my amazing older sister, Shruti, for creating this delicious meal for us and my younger sister, Tejshri for turning them into quesadillas. Thanks Shruti & Teju 🙂
What do these Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas include:
- Tempeh: I use the Lightlife brand.
- Veggies: I used bell peppers, onions, corn, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Cheese: I freshly shred Tillamook cheddar cheese or Kirkland's Mexican blend cheese.
- Tortillas: I used homemade ones made by my MIL but also love H-E-B's fresh tortillas.
- Tomato paste and taco seasoning: for all the flavors. Tomato paste and taco seasoning: for all the flavors. I get these from Thrive market. I just bought a subscription recommended by my dear friend over at Kissed by Spice!
To make these:
- Crumble the tempeh: I used a shredder for this.
- Briefly sauté the veggies, add the crumbled tempeh cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges, add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese and fold it over. cook the quesadillas until slightly brown and crispy!
- Serve warm!
These would work great as a make ahead snack or an appetizer for a party as well! I made too many the second time and had leftover quesadillas. I popped them in the oven the next day and they tasted just as great.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Lime Dressing
- Green Chile Queso Sauce
- Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
Crumbled Tempeh Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 8 oz package tempeh
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste no salt added
- Salt to taste
- 8 tortillas of choice, 8 inch
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar
- Crumble the tempeh. I used a shredder for this but you can also crumble it by hand.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add garlic, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Briefly sauté the veggies for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tempeh cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges.
- Add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese and fold the other half of the tortilla over. Cook the quesadillas on low to medium heat until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly brown and crispy! Serve warm!
- Serve with avocado, salsa, sour cream, or any hot sauces of your choice. Serve warm and enjoy!