The best vegetarian quesadillas you'll ever try. This vegetarian quesadilla recipe is so simple yet versatile with tempeh as the main ingredient. They are packed with protein and also go great with Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing or Green Chile Queso Sauce as a sauce for the quesadillas.
Tempeh recipes are a great way to add protein to your meals if you're plant-based or incorporating less meat into your diet. It has a nutty flavor and a firm texture. Tempeh marinates really well too so you can flavor it with your favorite seasonings.
📋 Ingredients for Vegetarian Quesadillas
- Tempeh: I use the Lightlife brand tempeh. Vegetarian tempeh recipes are so versatile. I have used it with Mexican-inspired flavors as well as in a salad with Miso Sauce.
- Veggies: I used bell peppers, onions, corn, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Cheese: I use freshly shredded Tillamook cheddar cheese or Kirkland's Mexican blend cheese.
- Tortillas: I used homemade ones made by my MIL but also love H-E-B's fresh tortillas.
- Tomato paste and taco seasoning: for all the flavors. I get these from Thrive Market or look for a no sodium added option.
- Cheese. I love using Tillamook shredded cheese or Costco's Kirkland cheese. These are great non-animal rennet options. If you want to make these tempeh and veggie quesadillas vegan quesadillas, you can either omit the cheese or use vegan cheese.
- Crumble the tempeh: I used a shredder for this but you can also crumble by hand.
- Briefly sauté the vegetables, add the crumbled tempeh, cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges, add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese, and fold it over. cook the quesadillas until slightly brown and crispy!
- Serve warm!
- If you're running low on time, you can also make these into tempeh tacos and they turn out amazing. Simply take your tortilla, assemble the tempeh filling, add cheese, and a sauce like the avocado cilantro sauce, and enjoy!
This vegetarian quesadilla recipe would work great as a make-ahead snack or an appetizer for a party as well! You can also make the tempeh filling ahead and use it for the tempeh tacos bar and allow guests to assemble their own tempeh tacos!
🍴 More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
- Crispy Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Lime Dressing
If you loved these Vegetarian Quesadillas, please let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Vegetarian Quesadillas with Crumbled Tempeh
- 8 tortillas of choice, 8 inch
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 8 oz package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste no salt added
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Crumble the tempeh. I used a shredder for this but you can also crumble it by hand.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add garlic, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Briefly sauté the veggies for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tempeh cook it until it gets slightly browned on the edges.
- Add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, then salt to taste. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Take a tortilla, add cheese on half the tortilla, add the tempeh filling, top it with some more cheese and fold the other half of the tortilla over. Cook the quesadillas on low to medium heat until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly brown and crispy! Serve warm!
- Serve with avocado, salsa, sour cream, or any hot sauces of your choice. Serve warm and enjoy!