Nutrient packed energy bites that taste like brownies covered in homemade almond butter chocolate! Bite into this deliciousness when you have a sweet craving, need a snack, or a boost of energy. A lot of nutrition packed in bite-sized, brownie tasting goodness!
These energy bites are vegan, require only 8 ingredients, packed with nutrients, bite sized, no bake, and DELICIOUS.
- For the energy bites
- Almond butter
- Pitted dates- I like to use medjool dates
- Almond flour
- Cocoa Powder
- For the chocolate covering
- Coconut oil
- Almond Butter
- Cocoa Powder
- Maple Syrup
First, grind the walnuts until they are crumbly in texture. Add the dates and blend well. Then add the rest of the ingredients until blended completed to a cookie dough texture. Using a tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and place on a large tray lined with parchment paper. Roll into balls and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes so they harden slightly before covering with chocolate.
Place the chocolate covering ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to soften the mixture. Then stir until smooth and no clumps remain. If your mixture gets too watery, set aside for 5-10 minutes until your desired consistency. Remove the rolled bites from the fridge and roll each bite in the prepared chocolate. Enjoy refrigerated or cold (if you don't dig into all of them immediately!!!).
💭 Top Tips
Dates: I like to use pitted medjool dates. However, if you do not have pitted dates, soak the dates in warm water for 1 hour and then remove pits. If the dates are dry, you can soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then use.
Coconut oil melts at 76°F so I highly recommend keeping the bites cold, otherwise the chocolate coating gets too soft.
Storage: You can store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Personally, I like mine better frozen!
You are welcome to use chocolate chips for the chocolate covering. However, I prefer making my own chocolate. Additionally, these energy bites taste great without the chocolate covering as well if you don't want an additional step or want to limit the extra sweetness!
🍴 More Sweet Treat Recipes
- Churros Energy Bites
- 5 Ingredient Almond Butter Brownies
- Vegan Blueberry Almond Crumble Bars
- Mini Vegan Baklava Cups
- Oat Cups with Almond Butter Chocolate
If you liked what you saw here, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Chocolate Covered Brownie Energy Bites
For the bites:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup packed dates, ~8-10 pitted and soaked mejdool dates
- ¼ cup almond butter, I used unsalted, unsweetened
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt, omit of almond butter is salted
For the chocolate:
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, unsweetened and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Brownie Bliss Balls:
- In a food processor, blend walnuts until a fine crumbled texture. Then add dates, almond butter, almond flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt (if using).
- On a large tray (I used a cookie sheet), line some parchment paper. Then, take a tablespoon and scoop out the mixture. Roll into balls and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes so they harden slightly before covering with chocolate.
For the Chocolate:
- Place the cocoa powder, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil and maple syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to soften the mixture into a melted chocolate consistency. Then stir until smooth and no clumps remain. If your mixture gets too watery, set aside for 5-10 minutes until your desired consistency.
- Remove the rolled bites from the fridge and roll each bite in the prepared chocolate.
- After chocolate coating is complete, freeze for 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Enjoy cold or room temperature (see coconut oil notes). Keep refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 1 month!
- If you do not have pitted dates, soak the dates in warm water for 1 hour and then remove pits. If the dates are dry, you can soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then use.
- These brownie bliss balls taste amazing even if you choose to omit the chocolate coating.
- Coconut oil melts at 76°F so I highly recommend keeping the bites cold, otherwise the chocolate coating gets too soft.
- Storage Suggestions: Keep refrigerated for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.