Chocolate Chia Overnight Oats...it's like brownie batter for breakfast but with lots of health benefits! I love preparing overnight oats. There are so many ways to make them and so quick and easy to prepare. I love this as a breakfast item, especially right now after having baby boy #2! Nursing a newborn and the intense hunger calls for a quick and easy breakfast that's ready to go and one of those breakfasts is these chocolate chia overnight oats.
Ingredients you need for Chia Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Rolled Oats. You can use quick oats as well, both work great!
- Chia Seeds. Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber, and are considered a complete protein (have all 9 of the essential amino acids).
- Ground Flaxseed. Also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Almond Butter. A great source of protein and good fats.
- Milk of choice. I used fat-free milk but you can use any plant-based milk to make it vegan.
- Cocoa Powder. Gives it the flavor of brownie batter!
- Extras: vanilla, maple syrup, granola (I used my Homemade Coconut Almond Granola but you can also use the Dark Chocolate Granola for even more chocolate!), bananas, nuts, berries, and dried fruits. Get creative and make it like your own breakfast sundae!
I like to get one of my glass storage jars and mix the ingredients up in individual servings if I am going to be on the go OR mix it in a food storage container and take it out when I'm ready to eat!
More Breakfast Recipes
- 3-Ingredient Chia Seed Berry Jam
- Blueberry Chia Pudding
- Healthy Everyday Berry Smoothie
- Homemade Coconut Almond Granola
- Churros Energy Bites
Chocolate Chia Overnight Oats
- ¾ cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla; or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 cup milk of choice; add in more in the morning if needed
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- In food storage container, mix the dry ingredients to ensure no clumps form.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Close lid and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours, overnight is preferred!
- Eat cold in the morning (or for dessert!). Get creative and add your choice of toppings to make it like your own breakfast sundae!
- Optional toppings can include walnuts, bananas, hemp seeds, chocolate chips.
- I have tried this with almond milk, oat milk, and soy milk and found that I needed to add an extra ¼-1/2 cup extra milk. You can also add it in the morning before you eat!