I love beets. I'm surprised I've only made one recipe with them (so far)! They're beautiful, nutritious, and available year round in most places. They have a deep reddish color and a natural, earthy, and fresh taste....yum! Beets are an incredible source of many essential vitamins and minerals, including folate. If you don't like beets or haven't tried beets you should give this recipe a try. The flavors and crunchiness of this salad might just turn you into a beet lover!
- Beets and carrots. This is the main part of the slaw...as the title "Beet and Carrot Slaw" suggests! I grated the beets using a standing box grater. If you are doubling the recipe for a larger serving, I recommend using a food processor with a grater like this one. I liked to use matchsticks carrots for convenience and more of a crunch, however, it tastes just as great with grated carrots as well!
- Flavors. Lemon juice, black pepper, sea salt, garlic, and maple syrup. If you'd like to make this sugar free, you can omit the maple syrup and add chopped dates or raisins.
- Garnishes. Cilantro. I kept this salad simple and garnished with only cilantro. However, there are plenty of optional toppings you can include!
- Optional. Some great additions to this salad would be to add cheese, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, hemp), green onions, mint nuts (pistachios, walnuts, pecans), raisins, cranberries, or chopped dates.
Store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also prepare this salad in advance to let the flavors soak in a little better if you'd like!
📖Coleslaw versus slaw
So what's the difference? Cabbage! Coleslaw contains cabbage. So any cabbage salad can technically be considered a coleslaw.
Slaw is just any raw, shredded, or crunchy vegetables without the cabbage. You may have seen broccoli slaw, carrot slaw, or something similar before.
We generally think of coleslaw as having mayonnaise, however, mayo does not have to be included for it to be called coleslaw. Both salads can have any acid-based dressing (so lemon/lime, vinegar, or mayo-which contains lemon or vinegar in it).
If you've never tried beets or are willing to give it another try, I HIGHLY recommend this recipe for you!
🥗 Other Veggie Filled recipes:
- Citrus and Blueberry Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Lime Dressing
- Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
If you loved this Beet and Carrot Slaw, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Beet and Carrot Slaw
- 2 small beets
- 1 cup matchstick carrots, or grated carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Shred the beets using a box grater or a food processor with a grater. If using whole carrots, grate them at this time as well.
- Add beets and carrots to a small bowl. Add the garlic, maple syrup, lemon juice, black pepper, sea salt, and cilantro. Mix until well combined.
- You can also prepare this salad in advance to let the flavors soak in a little better if you'd like!
- Some great additions to this salad would be to add cheese, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, hemp), green onions, mint nuts (pistachios, walnuts, pecans), raisins, cranberries, or chopped dates.