This salad is my new best friend. It's so easy to make. Most of these ingredients are already in your pantry and fridge. For the rest, wait until asparagus is in season for the best price and flavor! My friend over at Urban Farmie has some great information on when to buy asparagus!
Here's what I love about this Asparagus Pasta Salad:
- Great for gatherings.
- It's vegan!
- Tastes better the next day so you can prep it in advance and store it.
- Versatile. Easy to serve with additional vegetables. You can also add canned cannellini beans or chickpeas to include a protein source.
Minimal effort and delicious taste. Here's everything you'll need...
- Pasta: use any pasta you'd like. I think ones with crevices and holes are best for absorbing flavor. My favorite brand is Barilla Pasta who now makes a plant based Protein pasta...woohoo!
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green onions
- Cook your pasta. Drain and rinse to stop the cooking process and cool the pasta (repeat after me: we don't do this with regular pasta dishes, just pasta salads!).
- Blanch the asparagus. This process is to preserve the flavor and color of asparagus but cook it to the perfect texture. To do this, bring water to a boil and boil for about two minutes. Then drain asparagus and let cool in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and green onions. This really gives it a burst of flavor! You're welcome to add any of your other favorite and seasonal vegetables here. HERE you will find a great resource of year round seasonal produce downloads!
- Make the vinaigrette. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk it until emulsified.
- Put it all together. Grab a large bowl with a lid, add all the ingredients, combine well, and refrigerate or dig in right away. I think this tastes better the following day but it was still bursting with flavor if you don't want to wait until tomorrow. You can enjoy cold or at room temperature. Either way, you will soon be devouring this delicious lunch or side dish!
- Storage. You can store the pasta salad in the fridge for 3-5 days.
🥗 Other Flavorful Salad Recipes to Try
- Citrus and Blueberry Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Black Bean and Mango Salad with Lime Dressing
- Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
- Beet and Carrot Slaw
If you loved this Asparagus Pasta Salad recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Asparagus Pasta Salad
For the Salad:
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 8 oz penne pasta, or your favorite pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 stems green onion chopped
- Optional: 1 can of beans, drained and rinsed (see notes)
- Cook your pasta according to the directions. Drain and rinse to stop the cooking process and cool the pasta.
- Blanch the asparagus by bringing a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the chopped asparagus and boil for about two minutes. Drain asparagus and let cool in an ice bath.
- In a large bowl, add pasta, blanched asparagus, chopped cherry tomatoes, green onions. Drench the ingredients with the dressing, combine well, and refrigerate or dig in right away.
- For best results, prepare in advance and let marinate for about a day. If you don't have time for this, serve immediately-it will still be bursting with flavor! You can enjoy cold or at room temperature.
- Garnish with red chili flakes and additional green onions.