Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu
Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu! An easy flavorful favorite dish that you can make easily at home within 30 minutes! And it's vegan!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Package (14 Oz.) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste; *see notes below
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce; low sodium
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp Oil; for cooking the tofu
Pad Thai Sauce
- 2 Tsp Tamarind Concentrate
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce; low sodium
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar; You may use just 2 Tbsp if you would like your noodles to be more savory than sweet.
- 8 Oz. Rice Noodles
- 1 Tbsp Oil; olive or sesame works great
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste; *see notes below
- 1 Small Red Onion; sliced
- ½ Cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper; sliced
- 1 Small Green Bell Pepper; sliced
- ½ Cup Carrots; julienned
- ½ Cup Snap Peas
- ½ Cup Cilantro; chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- ½ Lime
- Peanuts; optional
For the Marinated Tofu
Press the tofu by wrapping it in an absorbent towel and placing something heavy on it to remove excess water. Do this for at least 20 minutes, the longer the better. Try to get as much water out as you can for a crispy tofu with a chewy center.
While the tofu is pressing, in a small container with a lid, prepare the marinade for the tofu by mixing the ginger and garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
After the tofu is pressed and most of the water is squeezed out, cube the tofu and place in the medium container with the marinade. Close the lid and shake the container so the tofu is coated. Marinate the tofu for at least 20 minutes. The longer the better! I like to prepare mine the day before for more flavor but it also works great if you start marinating it while you prepare the Pad Thai.
Prepare the Pad Thai while the tofu is marinating. Once the tofu is ready, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the marinated tofu. Sauté on high heat for about 5-10 minutes, flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, until tofu has browned on each side.
For the Pad Thai
Cook the rice noodles according to the package.
Heat oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions and ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the broccoli, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Be careful to not let them get soggy. Add the snap peas last and cook for about 1 minute.
Add prepared noodles and marinated tofu to the veggies and toss with tongs for about one minute.
Pour the pad thai sauce over the vegetables and noodles and cook for about 2 minutes until it thicken and sticks to the noodles.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle peanuts, cilantro, squeeze the lime, and serve immediately.
- To make fresh paste you may use 6 cloves of garlic to 2 inches of ginger. You can use a mini food processor or if you want to go old fashioned a mortar and pestle can also work. Keep extra in the fridge for about a week or in the freezer for 3-4 months. When grinding, don't add any water. If you feel you need some liquid, use oil as it can help preserve it if you're storing extra.
- Don't cook the sauce and noodles for too long otherwise it gets too sticky!
- I have made this using whatever vegetables I have on hand it turns out great.
- Bean sprouts aren't always easily accessible so using homemade mung sprouts is a great alternative.
- I've also just pan fried the tofu without marinating it and it turns out great if you're short on time or just feeling lazy! :)
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian