Instant Pot Pav Bhaji
A flavorful mashed vegetable gravy with fluffy soft buns. Make this easy Instant Pot Pav Bhaji to give you a taste of India's most famous street food!
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tablespoons oil, vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, blended
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large potato, roughly cubed
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly cut
- 1 cup broccoli, roughly cut
- 1 cup carrots, roughly cut
- 1 cup zucchini, roughly cut
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1.5 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pack pav bhaji buns, soft dinner rolls, or hamburger buns
Turn Instant Pot in sauté mode and heat oil.
Temper the cumin seeds then add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook until water is released and the mixture is a paste-like consistency. Then, add tomato paste and combine well. Turn instant pot off.
Add the potato, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and edamame. Then, add the turmeric, pav bhaji masala, salt, sugar, and water. Give it a quick stir and combine well.
Close the IP, turn valve to seal, and press manual mode, and set to 10 mins. Let the pressure release naturally (this takes about 15 minutes).
After pressure releases, use a potato masher or an immersion blender to mash to your desired consistency. Add lemon juice and combine well. Add two tablespoons of sliced butter on top.
For the Buns:
Slit the buns in half. Heat a pan on medium heat. Spread the remaining butter on each side of the buns. Place the buns on the pan and toast the buns on each side until golden brown.
Serve warm with the buns. Garnish pav bhaji with cilantro, garlic chutney of choice (optional), and serve with diced tomatoes and onions on the side.
- Pav Bhaji Masalas are made differently so it's best to taste test your flavors before serving according to your preferences. I use the Badshah, MTR, or Shan pav bhaji masalas.
Keywords: Indian street food, instant pot