Vegetable Pasta with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts
A pasta recipe that is quick and easy to make. Flavored with balsamic vinegar, garlic, and pepper jack cheese. Top it with pecans and you have a well-balanced and hearty vegetarian meal!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 8 oz pasta; I used farfalle
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 small broccoli, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup toasted pecans halves
- Garnishings: red pepper flakes, chili garlic oil
Cook the pasta according to directions on box and set aside.
Add the sweet potatoes to a microwave safe bowl and immerse in water. Microwave and cook for 3-4 minutes. Since microwave temperatures may vary, start with 2 minutes and add on 1 minute at a time. Cook until tender.
In a large pan, heat oil at medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly translucent. Add garlic then add brussel sprouts and broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes, rotating occasionally. Cook until tender and slightly browned on each side. If the vegetables start to stick to the pan, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
Add the balsamic vinegar, sweet potatoes, and cooked pasta. Mix in the salt and black pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
Turn off heat and sprinkle pepper jack cheese and toasted pecans over pasta. Combine well.
Garnish with red pepper flakes, olive oil, or toasted garlic and serve warm!
- If you prefer not to use the microwave, you may roast the sweet potatoes in the oven. If you do this, I suggest adding the brussels sprouts and broccoli in the oven as well. Cook at 400° F for 10-15 minutes or until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- This recipe can be made vegan without the cheese.
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 499mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3992IU | Vitamin C: 105mg | Calcium: 177mg | Iron: 3mg