Chocolate Covered Brownie Energy Bites
Nutrient packed energy bites that taste like brownies covered in homemade almond butter chocolate! Bite into this deliciousness when you have a sweet craving, need a snack, or a boost of energy.
Servings: 25 Bites
For the bites:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup packed dates, ~8-10 pitted and soaked mejdool dates
- ¼ cup almond butter, I used unsalted, unsweetened
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt, omit of almond butter is salted
For the chocolate:
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, unsweetened and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Brownie Bliss Balls:
In a food processor, blend walnuts until a fine crumbled texture. Then add dates, almond butter, almond flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt (if using).
On a large tray (I used a cookie sheet), line some parchment paper. Then, take a tablespoon and scoop out the mixture. Roll into balls and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes so they harden slightly before covering with chocolate.
For the Chocolate:
Place the cocoa powder, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil and maple syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to soften the mixture into a melted chocolate consistency. Then stir until smooth and no clumps remain. If your mixture gets too watery, set aside for 5-10 minutes until your desired consistency.
Remove the rolled bites from the fridge and roll each bite in the prepared chocolate.
After chocolate coating is complete, freeze for 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Enjoy cold or room temperature (see coconut oil notes). Keep refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 1 month!
- If you do not have pitted dates, soak the dates in warm water for 1 hour and then remove pits. If the dates are dry, you can soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then use.
- These brownie bliss balls taste amazing even if you choose to omit the chocolate coating.
- Coconut oil melts at 76°F so I highly recommend keeping the bites cold, otherwise the chocolate coating gets too soft.
- Storage Suggestions: Keep refrigerated for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.
Keywords: Bliss Balls, Energy Bites