Easy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
These Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers are loaded with vegetables, Mexican flavors, and hearty with black beans and couscous. They can easily be vegan using vegan cheese or omitting the cheese.
- 4-6 bell peppers; (see notes)
- ½ cup couscous
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ zucchini chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt; to taste
- cheese for topping; I use Kirkland's Mexican Blend
Preheat oven to 400° F and grease a 9 x 11 casserole dish.
Cook the couscous according to the package instructions and set aside.
Cook the garlic and veggies in oil.
Add the black beans, cooked couscous, cumin, and taco seasoning and mix. Add the enchilada sauce and combine well.
Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Optionally, you may choose to only remove the top instead of cutting it in half.
Add the couscous mixture in the bell peppers and top with cheese.
Add about ¼ cup water at the bottom of the casserole dish.
Place the stuffed bell peppers in the casserole dish. Grease a sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover the tray with foil, greased side down. Bake until bell peppers are well-cooked. If you like cooked bell peppers with a slight crunch, cook for 20-25 minutes. If you like a soft bell pepper, cook for about 25-30 minutes.
After bell peppers are cooked, remove foil and place back in the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
Serve warm and enjoy! Additional topping options include scallions, cilantro, sour cream, or avocados.
- Depending on the size of your bell peppers, you may need between 4-6 bell peppers.
- Cooking for longer may make bell peppers stick to the bottom of the casserole dish after the water is cooked off. If so, add two tablespoons of water to deglaze the casserole dish.
- You can use any seasonal vegetables for this dish! Get creative and add whatever vegetables work for you!
- We love to top our peppers with The Chutney Life's Cilantro Jalapeño Sauce!
Keywords: Bell Peppers, Vegetarian