Vegetable Masala Tofu Scramble
This Indian take on your basic tofu scramble! Packed with vegetables and spices for the perfect breakfast or brunch item! Vegan.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup packed spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala or garam masala
- 2 teaspoons black salt (also known as sanchal or kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder; optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ juice of lime
- cilantro to garnish
Press the tofu by patting it dry and wrapping it with an absorbent towel. Place under something heavy such as a heavy cutting board or a cast-iron skillet for about 10-15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat.
Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start turning translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the scallions, bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and spinach and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetable start to soften. Add the turmeric, cumin, pav bhaji masala (or garam masala), black salt, and salt.
Crumble the tofu and add into the vegetable mixture. Combine well and let it cook for about 5 minutes so the flavors soak into the tofu.
Add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy warm with some toast, a tortilla, or eat it alone!
- Garam masala tasted great with this tofu scramble as well. I have also used a chana masala and it worked wonderfully!
- If you don't have black salt, just include a little more of the regular salt and adjust to your taste preference.