Green Chile Queso Sauce
Homemade queso sauce that's easy to prepare using freshly shredded cheese and green chile enchilada sauce. Top it over enchiladas, nachos, or use it as your new favorite a dip!
Servings: 4 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup onions; finely chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper; finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 3 green onion stems; ~1/2 cup, finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro; finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups milk; I used 1% milk
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup green chile enchilada sauce
- salt to taste
In a medium skillet, melt the butter.
Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions become translucent. Add the bell peppers, green onions, and cilantro and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the taco seasoning.
Add the flour and combine well with the vegetables. You will see the mixture getting clumpy. Cook until it turns slightly brown.
Slowly pour the milk 1/2 cup at a time while whisking to eliminate any lumps.
Turn your stove to low heat and add in the freshly shredded cheese. Let the sauce simmer on low heat to thicken.
Add the green chili enchilada sauce at the end and combine well.
Serve with chips or top it over your favorite Mexican dish!
- I used a chopper to finely cut the vegetables. You are welcome to leave them chunkier, this will result in a chunky queso.
- Freshly shredded cheese, cheese slices, or cubed cheese is highly recommended for this recipe. Pre-shredded cheese will result in stringy clumps and a different texture.
- The green chili enchilada sauce is what really makes this recipe! You are more than welcome to omit this for a regular queso as well.
- If you make the queso in advance, it may thicken slightly by serving time. Just warm it up on the stove and add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Keywords: Quick, Sauces, Vegetarian