Who doesn't love hashbrowns?! I tried out this vegetarian hashbrown casserole recipe last year for the holidays and loved it! I thought it was a great idea for weekend breakfasts with the family visiting. It’s eggless so perfect for lacto vegetarians! I like to cut the vegetables and add the seasoning to them ahead of time so all I have to do is mix in the dairy, and put it in the oven first thing in the morning!
- Frozen hash brown bag. This makes the recipe so easy and convenient. You are welcome to use freshly shredded potatoes as well.
- Vegetables. I used onion, bell peppers, and spinach. The vegetables are so versatile and you can use what's left in your fridge! I've previously added zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, and sweet potatoes before!
- Nutritional Yeast. Nutritional yeast is a complete protein (has all 9 essential amino acids) and a great source of B vitamins, especially B12. A great addition to your food for vegans and vegetarians!
- Dairy. I added greek yogurt and milk as the base of this recipe. Also included sharp cheddar cheese in the mixture as well as on top! I love using Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese for a cheese that is a great vegetarian rennet option.
- Other flavors! Garlic (you can rarely go wrong with more garlic!), salt, and black pepper.
📖 Step by Step Instructions
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, saving some cheese for topping at the end.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl until no clumps remain. Then add it to the dry ingredient mixture.
- Bake for about 30-45 minutes until the cheese is lightly golden and bubbly.
- Serve warm!
I hope you get to make this vegetarian hashbrown casserole for your next Thanksgiving or Christmas side, or for your next weekend breakfast!
If you loved this Vegetarian Hashbrown Casserole recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe to my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
🍴 More Recipes to Try
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Vegetable Pasta with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts
- Creamy Garlic and Vegetable Pasta
Vegetarian Hashbrown Casserole
- 30 oz bag shredded frozen hash brown
- 1 cup medium onion, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup packed spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast,
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup greek yogurt,
- ¾ cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add the frozen hash brown and break apart any chunks. Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers, spinach, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, 1 cup of cheese and mix together.
- In another small bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk until no clumps remain. Pour over hash brown and vegetable mixture and combine well.
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish or baking tray. Evenly spread the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese to top the hash brown casserole.
- Place in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm!
- You may prep the full casserole in advance. Don't bake it, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. If it seems dry before you bake it, mix an extra ¼ cup milk and ¼ cup yogurt and add it over the casserole, then bake.