A Vegetable Pasta with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts recipe that is quick and easy to make. Flavored with balsamic vinegar, garlic, and pepper jack cheese. Top it with pecans and you have a well-balanced and hearty vegetarian meal!
I'll be honest here. As the weather gets colder, it's nice to curl up on the couch in some sweatpants and an oversized sweater, and carb load with a warm bowl of pasta. These days, it's with a warm bowl of pasta AND two tiny humans. A basic olive oil pasta with veggies is totally my thing. In the fall, I like to add all of my favorite fall vegetables. This vegetable pasta recipe is the kind that feels like a gourmet or restaurant dish but is so easy to prepare. Make it vegan by omitting the cheese! It can be served as a weeknight meal, date night dinner, or a holiday side dish. Bonus: my kids will eat it!
- Farfalle Pasta. CEO of the house (my 4 year old son) only likes this pasta so that's what we use! Just like in my Instant Pot Minestrone Soup.
- Vegetables: Sweet potato, brussels sprouts, red onions, and broccoli.
- Flavors & aromatics: balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Pepper Jack Cheese. I love using Tillamook pepper jack cheese
- Toasted pecans: Give it added protein to your dish.
💭 Tips and Cooking Method Options
- Sweet potatoes. This dish is perfect with sweet potatoes. However, if you do not have sweet potatoes, you can try using butternut squash in this recipe. Cooking methods for sweet potato can vary:
- I personally like making this in the microwave as it's quick and convenient for my lifestyle.
- If you prefer to make this on the stove, you can cook the onions, garlic, and brussels sprouts first. Then, set them aside. Heat some oil, add water, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Another method you can use is to roast them. This is the second most convenient way to cook the vegetables. If you do this, I suggest adding the brussels sprouts and broccoli in the oven too. Cook at 400°F for 10-15 minutes or until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Vegan Option: omit the cheese to make this dish vegan!
- Cheese options. I LOVE pepper jack cheese. Alternatively, you can use goat cheese or feta cheese with this dish. As a vegetarian, I don't eat cheeses with animal rennet so I prefer not to use goat cheese or feta cheese as it's harder to find. My favorite non-animal rennet brand is Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Toasted pecans. You are welcome to use any other nuts of your choice or omit the nuts altogether if you prefer. I add pecans as it ties in the perfect fall flavors. However, I can also recommend toasted walnuts, almonds, or even pine nuts.
- Vegetables. I like to also add broccoli to this recipe as my children love broccoli in their pasta but you are welcome to add any other vegetables you prefer.
As the days get chillier, get ready to curl up on the sofa with this warm pasta dish! Enjoy!
🍴 More Recipes Like This
- Creamy Garlic and Vegetable Pasta
- Spaghetti with Avocado Spinach Pesto
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Cherry Tomato Bruschetta Appetizer
- Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
If you loved this Vegetable Pasta with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe for my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Vegetable Pasta with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts
- 8 oz pasta; I used farfalle
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 small broccoli, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup toasted pecans halves
- Garnishings: red pepper flakes, chili garlic oil
- Cook the pasta according to directions on box and set aside.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a microwave safe bowl and immerse in water. Microwave and cook for 3-4 minutes. Since microwave temperatures may vary, start with 2 minutes and add on 1 minute at a time. Cook until tender.
- In a large pan, heat oil at medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly translucent. Add garlic then add brussel sprouts and broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes, rotating occasionally. Cook until tender and slightly browned on each side. If the vegetables start to stick to the pan, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, sweet potatoes, and cooked pasta. Mix in the salt and black pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle pepper jack cheese and toasted pecans over pasta. Combine well.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, olive oil, or toasted garlic and serve warm!
- If you prefer not to use the microwave, you may roast the sweet potatoes in the oven. If you do this, I suggest adding the brussels sprouts and broccoli in the oven as well. Cook at 400° F for 10-15 minutes or until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- This recipe can be made vegan without the cheese.