Adding some yummy Indian spices to tofu scramble and packing it with nutrients makes it a delicious Vegetable Masala Tofu Scramble! I started eating tofu scramble after I moved to Houston when we went to brunch places. I loved the idea of having an egg-free option for breakfast or brunch when we went out to eat. I didn't see any of that growing up in West Texas. It also became a good weekend breakfast for me at home.
Rajan loves eggs and he enjoys making a dish called “Egg Bhurji” which is basically an Indian twist to scrambled eggs. Obviously, I wanted to create an egg free/vegan version of this! So here I am sharing with you this delicious Vegetable Masala Tofu Scramble!
To make the Vegetable Masala Tofu Scramble:
- Press the tofu to drain the excess water. You can use a tofu press for this or you can wrap it in paper towels or a cheese cloth and place a heavy item on top to train all the water. I have done this without draining the water and it still turns out great but I think the flavors soak in a lot better if you press the excess water out. Crumble it all up after you’ve pressed it and set it aside.
- Heat some oil and add the chopped veggies. I used zucchini, spinach, bell peppers, onions, scallions, and tomatoes. This is my favorite vegetable chopper ever to get perfectly diced veggies. If you're looking to roughly chop any vegetables, I love to use this Breville one.
- Add the flavors! Garlic, ginger, pav bhaji masala (you can also use garam masala here), turmeric, cumin, and red chili powder (optional if you want it to be spicy!).
- Mix in the crumbled tofu.
- Drizzle with some lime and cilantro and enjoy all the flavors alone or with some toast 🙂
Why I love this Masala Tofu Scramble:
- Quick and easy.
- Packed with vegetables which means so many nutrients.
- Spiced up with Indian flavors.
There's so many different ways to make tofu scramble but this is a fun way to add some different flavors. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Here are some other brunch ideas you may like:
- 3-Ingredient Chia Seed Berry Jam
- Homemade Coconut Almond Granola
- Blueberry Chia Pudding
- Vegetable Samosa Puffs
Vegetable Masala Tofu Scramble
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup packed spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala or garam masala
- 2 teaspoons black salt (also known as sanchal or kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder; optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ juice of lime
- cilantro to garnish
- Press the tofu by patting it dry and wrapping it with an absorbent towel. Place under something heavy such as a heavy cutting board or a cast-iron skillet for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start turning translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the scallions, bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and spinach and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetable start to soften. Add the turmeric, cumin, pav bhaji masala (or garam masala), black salt, and salt.
- Crumble the tofu and add into the vegetable mixture. Combine well and let it cook for about 5 minutes so the flavors soak into the tofu.
- Add the lime juice and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy warm with some toast, a tortilla, or eat it alone!
- Garam masala tasted great with this tofu scramble as well. I have also used a chana masala and it worked wonderfully!
- If you don't have black salt, just include a little more of the regular salt and adjust to your taste preference.