Perfectly spiced, nutty, and creamy vegan peanut corn curry is exactly what you need this fall. It's so warm, comforting, and flavorful. Just in time to add the perfect twist to your Thanksgiving feast, or really...any feast!
I love corn, my son loves corn, my husband loves corn. So naturally, we make a curry out of it. My extended family made corn curry quite often and I remember loving it every time they made it. It's usually made with corn on the cob but of course, I like the quick and easy version of things. I actually forgot about how good it was until recently when I made a vegan version of it!
Here's what you need:
- Some frozen corn, thawed.
- Onions, garlic, and tomatoes - canned tomato sauce works great as well.
- Some extra veggies for added nutrients - I used carrots and bell peppers but any seasonal vegetables will work great!
- Some seeds and spices - I used mustard seeds and cumin for the seeds and garam masala for the spice mix.
- Crushed peanuts for some crunch.
- Coconut milk to add some creamy goodness.
Let it all simmer together to make it as creamy or gravy-like as you want. SO easy, right?!
My favorite thing to serve this with is some rice, frozen Kawan parathas, or naan. But this tastes just as yummy with tortillas, bread, or even by itself! Try out the Vegetable Samosa Puffs or the Phyllo Chaat Cups as appetizers to go with this dish!
I hope y'all enjoy this as much as we do! Share it with your friends and family and leave a comment if you made it!
Vegan Peanut Corn Curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup crushed tomato
- 2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt *or to taste
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk, light
- ½ juice of lime
- cilantro, to garnish
- Heat oil in a medium pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds until they start popping.
- Add onion and garlic and stir until translucent.
- Add crushed tomato and sauté for 1-2 minutes until consistency becomes gravy-like.
- Add thawed corn, carrots, bell peppers, turmeric powder, garam masala, chili powder, and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add peanuts and water. The curry will begin to thicken slightly. Then add the coconut milk and stir. Simmer on low for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add lime juice, garnish with cilantro, and serve warm with rice, tortillas, bread, or naan!