I love making homemade fruit crisps. They're such an easy dessert and can be made with so many seasonal fruit options, like berry crisps (see this delicious strawberry crisp recipe). They also make a great, quick, and healthier option for dessert for a get-together with friends or family!
🍏 Best Apples for Apple Crisp
The best apples to use in a homemade apple crisp are apples varieties like granny smith or honey crisp. You are looking for crisp, tart, and also sweet. I have tried making this with a variety of apples so it's OKAY to use what you have on hand. You can adjust the tartness but adding more lemon juice.
🍏 How to Make a Vegan Apple Crisp
- Peel and thinly slice the apples.
- Mix the apple base ingredients in one bowl. and transfer to a baking dish greased with coconut oil.
- Combine the crisp ingredients. I like to use my hands for this to get a better crumbly-type mixture.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until your crisp is golden brown from the top.
- Enjoy warm by itself, with your favorite ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel sauce!
- For a gluten-free apple crisp:
- Substitute the all-purpose flour for almond flour or gluten-free flour with a 1:1 ratio
I hope you enjoy this simple apple crisp as much as we do!
🍏 Other Healthy Dessert Ideas
- Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Churros Energy Bites
- 5 Ingredient Almond Butter Brownies
- Vegan Mini Baklava Cups
- No Bake Oat Cups with Almond Butter Chocolate
If you loved this Vegan Apple Crisp recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe to my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Vegan Apple Crisp
For the Apple Base
- 5 medium granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish or 10 inch round pie dish with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix your peeled and sliced apples, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cornstarch, orange juice.
- Place your crisp on top of the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until your crisp is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then enjoy with some vegan ice cream or drizzled with caramel.
- To make this gluten-free:
Make sure to use gluten-free oats. Sub all-purpose flour with almond flour or use gluten-free flour.