I always say: salads don't have to be boring! So today, I'm bringing you this Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce....so yum! Marinated tempeh, fresh vegetables for the salad, and a flavorful miso ginger sauce.
Now, before the word "tempeh" scares you away, know that this can be made with any of your preferred protein source. Marinated tofu works wonderfully if tempeh is not your thing (but don't knock it till you try it!).
What is tempeh? Tempeh is made from cooked and fermented soybeans. They're a great alternative to meat or if you want to change up your usual tofu dish! This recipe will taste just as delicious with some marinated tofu if tempeh just isn't your thing (but you should definitely try it!). You can use the same marinade I use for the tempeh in this recipe or you can check out my Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu and use that one.
What is miso? Miso is often used in Japanese cooking and made through a fermentation process either using soybeans and/or a grain. There are many different types of miso...I used white miso paste in most of my recipes. The flavor in white miso paste is a soft umami flavor with a milder and sweeter taste. Because of the fermentation, miso is high in probiotics.
To make Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce:
- First, make the tempeh. Marinate the tempeh ahead of time. I recommend marinating at least 4 hours but overnight is best! To marinate all sides well, rotate the tempeh pieces it at some point. Cut the tempeh in about 1 inch triangles (the smaller the pieces, the better). For the marinade, I used: garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and oil. When it's marinated, it's ready to bake it for about 20 minutes, rotating half way. For more flavor (and totally optional!), add a tablespoon of soy sauce to the leftover marinade and pour over the tempeh. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Next, make the miso ginger sauce. I like to make mine when I marinate the tempeh because the flavors set in really well (and it's convenient). However, if you make it when you're ready to eat, it's still just as delicious. Whisk together miso, ginger paste, tahini, maple syrup, lime, black pepper, and water. If you make this in advance, refrigerate until you are ready to use. The sauce will thicken in the fridge so add an extra tablespoon of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Put it all together! For my salad, I used celery, cabbage, spinach, green onion, bell peppers, and matchstick carrots. You can use any type of salad greens you prefer! Toss the salad with the baked tempeh and drizzle (or pour!) the miso ginger sauce. Serve immediately.
- Other Options:
- You can use the peanut sauce I made with my Roasted Vegetable Bowl with Peanut Sauce recipe.
- Add cilantro, nuts, seeds as garnishings.
This salad is: Vegan. Fresh and crunchy. Nutrient-rich. Full of FLAVOR. Protein-rich. SO yummy.
The leftovers can be used for the next 2-3 days. I used mine up as a taco by adding it to a tortilla!
Let me know if you tried this in the comments below or find me on Instagram and tag @sharethespice!
Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
For the Tempeh:
- 2 cloves garlic; chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon oil; (I used olive oil)
- 1 package tempeh; 6 oz
For the Miso Ginger Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste; or crushed ginger
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 juice of a small lime
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ tablespoons water (add more for desired consistency)
- 1 stalk celery; chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup spinach; chopped
- ½ cup green onion; chopped
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
For the Tempeh:
- In a medium container, whisk together garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and oil.
- Cut the tempeh into 1 inch triangles and place them in the container with the marinade. Make sure the tempeh is well coated.
- Marinate for 4-24 hours (the longer the better!). Rotate once or twice while marinating to make sure all sides get well coated.
- Once marinated, set oven to 375°F.
- Place tempeh on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
- Optional: add an extra tablespoon of soy sauce to the remaining marinade and drizzle over the tempeh. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
For the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together miso, ginger, tahini, maple syrup, lime, and black pepper until well combined.
Put it all together:
- Put together your salad option in a large salad bowl or your meal prep containers.
- Add the baked tempeh and drizzle with some (or a lot!) of the miso ginger sauce. If you are meal prepping, keep these separate and add to the salad when you are ready to eat!
- This is a great meal prep dish! You can make the dressing and tempeh in advance and just add it to your salad option when you're ready to eat.
- If you make the sauce in advance, it may thicken so add water until you reach your desired consistency.