You can thank me later for bringing you this Sweet Potato and Tofu Breakfast Hash: a hearty, breakfast hash with sweet potatoes, tofu, bell peppers, spinach, and seasonings. Filled with lots of protein and nutrients to start your day off with lots of energy!
But first, how is October almost over already?! 2020 has been a mess of a year but I’m hopeful this year ends positively...it has to, right?! Some amazing things have happened in my personal life also: had baby Suraj , sister got proposed to, we are getting a new home, and basically have learned how to appreciate and enjoy the small moments that make up the big part of our daily lives. Plus, fall weather makes me happy. What are your favorite fall things to do? Mine is wearing baggy sweaters, going on walks (fall weather is perfect here in Houston), the upcoming holidays with family, and all the smells of fall!
I also love sweet potatoes...this doesn't just have to be a fall thing. I love them year round. This beautiful breakfast hash is also something I will definitely have year round. It's the perfect brunch item and a great healthy alternative to a regular potato hash. This has is:
- Fiber rich
- Protein filled
- And so yummy!
Tips for making this Sweet Potato and Tofu Breakfast Hash:
- I like to cook the tofu first and then set it aside.
- You can cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave while cooking the tofu and bell peppers on the stove. Or you can cook the sweet potatoes and vegetables on the stove after setting the tofu aside.
- After cooking the vegetables and sweet potatoes, I add the cooked tofu back in, then the tomato paste and seasonings, and poof...You now have a sweet potato and tofu breakfast hash. Super easy right??
I loved eating this with my Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing (omit the yogurt or use soy yogurt to make it vegan) or wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese.
Other meal ideas to include with this recipe:
Sweet Potato and Tofu Breakfast Hash
For the Tofu:
- 1 14 oz package tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt*
For the Hash:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
To cook the Tofu:
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet. Add the tofu and cook for 5 minutes, rotating sides.
- Add nutritional yeast, taco seasoning, and salt. Cook for another 5 minutes until slightly golden brown.
For the Hash:
- To cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave, see notes.
- To cook on the stove, heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Cover with a lid and and cook for about 5 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender (not mushy). Stir occasionally. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water if the vegetables start sticking to your pan.
- Add the tofu back into the skillet. Then add the tomato paste, taco seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the chopped spinach at the end and cook for 1-2 minutes until just wilted.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lime juice.
- Sprinkle some cilantro and serve warm with avocados, sour cream, cheese, salsa, or wrap it in a tortilla!