Bread oils are definitely trending, but I have been making this bread dipping oil recipe for years. I fell in love with this particular bread dip at a restaurant I used to visit when I was in undergrad. Carb loading with my favorite bread and some olive oil bread dip...those were the good ole days! Now anytime I have a side of bread with Italian food, this dip is a must-have for me.
📋 Dipping Oil Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The obvious key ingredient here is extra virgin olive oil. A great quality olive oil is perfect and all but use what doesn't break your wallet! Another money-saving tip is to use butter, however, I HIGHLY recommend using olive oil. Olive oil is higher in monounsaturated fats (the good kind) and butter is higher in saturated fats (the not-so-great ones you want to limit).
Fresh garlic. I like to grate or mince my garlic. You are welcome to use garlic powder for the days you have less than 5 mins to prep something, but fresh garlic really adds to this dipping oil.
Red Pepper Flakes. I love the spice this adds to the dish. You can adjust the amount to more or less based on the level of spice you prefer.
Balsamic vinegar. This brings the perfect amount of acidity and sweetness. If you don't have balsamic vinegar on hand all the time, you can add a squeeze of lemon juice instead.
Italian Seasoning. To keep the convenience factor of this recipe and many other Italian dishes, I like to keep a jar of Italian Seasoning on hand.
Salt. I recommend using sea salt as it combines well with the seasoning.
- Black Pepper. I love adding black pepper to mine as it really gives a burst of flavor.
Of course, serve with your favorite dipping bread! My personal favorites are sourdough, crostini, a french baguette, or focaccia bread.
🍽 Storing Olive Oil Bread Dip
Since fresh garlic is used, keep refrigerated to avoid the risk of spoiling. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Allow the oil to come to room temperature before serving. Whisk together before serving. Separation is normal.
🥣 More Dips Recipes
🥗 More Appetizer Recipes
If you loved this Olive Oil Bread Dip recipe, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Subscribe to my weekly emails at the bottom so you never miss a new recipe!
Olive Oil Bread Dip
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves grated garlic*
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt + more to taste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a small serving bowl, combine oil, Italian seasoning, garlic, crushed red pepper, sea salt, and balsamic vinegar. Whisk until well combined.
- To prep ahead, combine and store in the refrigerator. Allow the oil to come to room temperature before serving. Whisk together as separation is normal.
- Serve at room temperature with your favorite bread! My personal favorites are sourdough, crostini, a french baguette, or focaccia bread.
Leave a Reply