One year into this pandemic plus cooler weather has me craving some warm, nourishing, and hearty soups like this Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup. I love experimenting with new recipes but everyone's busy: kids being homeschooled, working from home, no childcare, or working long hours....I get it! Sometimes it's convenient to just have a meal to dump in the Instant Pot and forget about it until it's dinner time.
I had some red curry paste left over from a red curry we made the other day so I wanted to experiment AND have something ready to go for dinner. In comes this Instant Pot Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup! I've tried some lentil soups but I found the combination of flavors in this soup to really satisfy my cravings for something hearty and Thai-inspired.
What's included in this Instant Pot Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup:
- All the flavors. Onions, garlic, ginger really are the backbone of a lot of my savory recipes. They give that warm feeling in your belly when you combine these flavors with your meals.
- Sweet potatoes. I LOVE sweet potatoes. They're so filling and full of nutrients. They're a great source of vitamin A which supports healthy vision! It's also a great source of vitamin C, calcium, fiber, and potassium.
- Carrots. Also another great source of vitamin A and also vitamin K
- Red lentils. Lentils plus the sweet potatoes is really what make this meal so hearty. Red lentils are full of protein and fiber and such a great meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians.
- Red curry paste. I like to use Maesri Red Curry Paste or Thai Kitchen Gluten Free Red Curry Paste. I feel the Maesri Red Curry Paste is higher on the spice level than the Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste.
- Coconut milk. I use lite coconut milk. The soup is thick and creamy enough as it is so I like to use the lite coconut milk for a lower saturated fat content but with the creaminess.
- Tomato paste. This really gives it a tangy, tomato flavor that brings it all together. You may use fresh tomatoes if you prefer but I love the consistency and flavor that tomato paste gives.
We love this soup because it's:
- Packed with protein and nutrients.
- So filling.
- Easy to make!
It's a perfect meal to make when you're in need of something easy. It also makes a perfect side dish, appetizer, and works great for meal prep!
Other nourishing meals you might enjoy:
- Vegetable Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Tofu
- Vegetable Pad Thai with Marinated Tofu
- Tempeh Salad with Miso Ginger Sauce
- Roasted Vegetable Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- Sweet Potato and Tofu Breakfast Hash
Instant Pot Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion; roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 inch ginger; chopped
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato; roughly cubed
- 1 cup carrots; roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth; low sodium
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce; low sodium
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste; no salt added
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot on saute mode.
- Saute onions, ginger, garlic until fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, lentils, carrots, vegetable broth, tomato paste, red curry paste, coconut milk, and soy sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Combine well, close the lid, and set the pressure release valve to sealed.
- Adjust the pressure to high pressure and set the Instant Pot to "Manual" to cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, natural pressure release. After pressure is released naturally, switch the pressure release valve from sealed to vent. Open lid carefully.
- Use an immersion blender to blend thoroughly. Add more vegetable broth depending on your preference on thickness of soup.
- Top with extra coconut milk, scallions, and cilantro. Enjoy warm!