These easy vegan zucchini fritters make the perfect yummy, quick, and easy snack or appetizer. It's an easy way to use up zucchini if you're unsure what to do with it or just to sneak in an extra veggie snack!
I love zucchini. I don't think I discovered my love for it until recently when I add it to stir fry dishes or meal prep for bowls. It's light in flavor, low calorie, and packed with nutrients especially vitamin A and antioxidants.
Being 32 weeks pregnant has me too lazy to make anything crazy but my need for savory snacks throughout the day is at an all time HIGH. This little human inside of me is growing! I had been looking to experiment a good snack that wasn't too difficult to prepare. These easy vegan zucchini fritters made for a satisfying snack! They're quick enough to prepare and I made a few extras that I could quickly heat up.
Making these easy Vegan Zucchini Fritters:
- Shred the zucchini, drizzle it with a little bit of salt, and let it sit in a colander for 5-10 minutes. This step is NECESSARY. I made these twice, the first time I drizzled it with salt, the second time I did not. The second time, they were soggy. Don't skip this step.
- Take a cheesecloth or use your hands to squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini. Be strong guys. Get as much moisture out as you can.
- Prepare a flax egg. What's a flax egg, you ask? It's 1 tablespoon of water to 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed. You let it sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes and it'll becoming a slimy consistency...like an egg.
- Mix up the zucchini and flax egg with some whole wheat flour, garlic, salt, pepper, and scallions.
- Heat up the oil on a skillet and cook them until they're brown on both sides!
That's it! Pretty simple right? The only thing that requires a little bit of effort (for those of us that are feeling lazy these days) is squeezing out the excess moisture from the zucchini. Let's say that's your workout for the day 🙂 .
Let me know what you think of these in the comments below! Hope you enjoy this little savory snack with me in your kitchen!
For more snacks or appetizers, don't forget to check out these:
Easy Zucchini Fritters
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ½ cup scallions chopped
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons oil; use more if needed
- Shred the zucchini and place in a colander. Drizzle a little salt and set aside for about 10 minutes. This step should not be skipped! It helps take out the excess water.
- Prepare the flax egg by combining the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and place it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to set.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, scallions, garlic, black pepper, and salt.
- Squeeze the zucchini to remove excess water with your hands or using a cheesecloth. Add to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- In a skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat. Roll the mixture into about 2 inch circles and place in the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until brown on one side, then flip and cook on the other side.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes then serve with your favorite sauce!