Okay...so after a lot of quarantine baking, I decided I needed a healthy-ish twist on a dessert for Cinco de Mayo. Enter...Churros Energy Bites. Is that a thing? Well, we are going to make it a thing! The perfect bite-sized, healthy-ish dessert (or snack!). These are filled with protein and coated in cinnamon sugar and a chocolate cinnamon sugar. SO GOOD.
These are so easy to make. I made them within 15-20 minutes and was snacking on them IMMEDIATELY.
These Churros Energy Bites are:
- Full of protein: walnuts and almond butter (I use this one from Costco).
- Full of fiber: rolled oats.
- The perfect churros flavors: cinnamon, vanilla, and chocolate
- Perfectly sweetened: maple syrup.
- No bake.
- No dates. I don't mind dates but incase you do, these are perfect.
To put it all together, blend all of the ingredients together. Then, coat half of them in the cinnamon sugar and half in chocolate cinnamon sugar. You can also coat them all in just one if it's your favorite! I personally loved having an option of chocolate or no chocolate 🙂 . You can add in other extras like flax powder, chocolate chips, chia seeds. Get creative!
I like to pop them in the fridge and when I need a snack or need to satisfy my sweet tooth, those churros flavors are right there waiting for me. Just in time for my Cinco de Mayo quarantine dessert 🙂 .
Don't forget these other Mexican flavors to try for your Cinco de Mayo feast:
- Vegetarian Mexican Casserole
- Easy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Vegan Esquites (Mexican Street Corn Salad)
Churros Energy Bites
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon raw cane sugar
For the Chocolate Cinnamon Coating:
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon raw cane sugar
For the Bites:
- Blend walnuts and rolled oats in a food processor until powder-like in consistency.
- Add the almond butter, vanilla, maple syrup, and cinnamon to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Take a tablespoon and scoop out the mixture. Roll into balls and set aside for coating.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- In a small bowl or plate, mix together the cinnamon and raw sugar.
- Roll half the bites (about 8) in the cinnamon sugar until coated well.
For the Chocolate Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- Mix the cocoa powder and raw cane sugar with the remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Roll the rest of the bites until well coated.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for snacking on later!
- This made about 16 bites for me (after a few tastes here and there 🙂 )
- You can do all the bites with just one coating or both. Whichever you prefer!
- For the chocolate cinnamon coating, I used the remaining cinnamon sugar topping and added cocoa powder and an extra 1/2 teaspoon sugar.