This delicious recipe is adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie's Almond Butter Brownie recipe!!!
Okay y'all, I'll be honest. I'm not one to give up on sweets or chocolate but I'll almost always try to come up with a healthier version of something that's really good...and keep it really good. How do you make delicious healthier brownies you ask? Enter: these ooey gooey 5 Ingredient Almond Butter Brownies.
It is not a bad thing to come up with a healthier version of desserts, right? If it still tastes delicious, then why not?! These 5 Ingredient Almond Butter Brownies are so rich in flavor and get this....they have no added sugar (unless you add the chocolate chips!) and are naturally sweetened with DATE PASTE.
Now wait, before you go running away after hearing the word "dates", just trust me on this one. Truth: I refuse to eat dates alone. I'm pretty sure I've only eaten a whole, raw date maybe twice in my life. I will eat them chopped up in something, I will eat them blended and mixed into something, and best of all, I will make a date paste and use it in dessert recipes (like this one!). However, I will not eat a date by itself. If you enjoy whole, raw dates, then you do you!
What's included in these Almond Butter Brownies:
- Date Paste. Date paste is a fancy word for blended dates. You do NOT need to buy a jar of date paste. Megan Gilmore at Detoxinista has a great recipe for how to make date paste. Dates are a low glycemic food so they make a wonderful natural sweetener for those watching their glucose intake. Dates are also high in fiber, and minerals, like calcium and iron.
- Almond Butter and Almond Flour. Great source of good fats and protein. I used salted almond butter so I omitted any additional salt in the recipe. However, if you use unsalted, I recommend added a pinch of salt. The almond flour I used was super fine.
- Cocoa Powder. Gives it the rich and deep flavor of brownies! I use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Baking Soda. Helps the brownies set well in the oven.
- Optional: Chocolate Chips. Use vegan chocolate chips to keep the recipe vegan. I loved these with and without chocolate chips. Obviously, chocolate chips add that extra sweetness but these are amazing without them as well! You may choose to add a full cup of date paste to increase the sweetness without the chocolate chips.
I like to make these brownies at the beginning of the day and let them sit for at least an hour before eating them (if you can keep your hands off of them for that long!). They taste even better the next day...but I'm never that patient!
Make these for your next party or enjoy them as a easy evening dessert with a glass of milk of your choice!
Other sweet treats you may enjoy:
- Apple Pie Bites
- Mini Vegan Baklava Cups
- Oat Cups with Almond Butter Chocolate
- Churros Energy Bites
- Delicious Strawberry Crisp
5-Ingredient Almond Butter Brownies
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup softened almond butter; unsalted and unsweetened
- ¾ cup date paste*
- ⅓ cup almond flour or flour of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt if your almond butter is not salted
- ½ cup chocolate chips; optional; use vegan chocolate chips to keep the recipe vegan
- Preheat oven to 325° F and line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine almond butter, date paste, almond flour, baking soda, and salt (if using) until well combined. If using chocolate chips, add at this time.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and remove from the oven. They may still jiggle, but they will firm as they set.
- Let them sit at least 1 hour or overnight for the perfect texture brownies.
- Use vegan chocolate chips if making vegan.
- Omit the chocolate chips if you don't want any added sugar.
- *You can choose to add more date paste as well to increase sweetness without the chocolate chips.
- The thickness of your almond butter may vary. If you find your brownie batter is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk of choice until you reach a brownie batter-like consistency.